Monday, November 24, 2008

Josh's Navy Graduation!


Wow, I can't believe I already got to see him and left again. One thing is for sure, I HATE BEING AWAY FROM HIM! I'm telling you what, when he's stationed somewhere stable and we can swing it financially, I'll be moving asap!

I will say it was quite a different visit, but what do you expect after someone has just gone through 8 weeks of hard core boot camp! While we (his family and I) were in Waukegan, he still had to report back at night to the base, wash up, and be on the toe line ready for role call. If he was even a second late he could lose his leave the next day. So, to say the least, we always got him there early! Having freedom all of a sudden was quite an adjustment. Plus, exhaustion consumed him. Poor guy.

It was so great to see him and spend some time with him too. I know that as soon as he's away from that base, he'll start to be back to his old self. I can only try to imagine what he went through and I can do my best to understand all his stories, but there's no possible way I will truly know. A huge part of me wishes I could have gone through it all to be able to help him. He has some light regret about his decision, but more so he said it's a "what have I gotten myself into" kind of feeling. He also said, "Lane! College would have been SOOO much easier!" I laughed and said, "Well you can just remember that to tell your kids someday...GO TO COLLEGE!"

He leaves in the morning around 4 or 5 am to go to "A School". We've thought Pensacola for such a long time, but it could really end up being anywhere. He was also informed they could choose to not send him to school and hold off on that, and instead ship him off for 6-12 months. AH! That is our worst fear for sure. And of course we've had our sights set on San Diego for "C School", but that can always change as well. Uncertainty it such a booger. That is definitely stressful for both of us, but we know that God is faithful and will always chose what's right for us.

I was hoping for a phone call today after Josh found out where he'll be headed to tomorrow morning, but he said that if he ended up not getting one, he would call me from the airport. Which means I'll probably be getting a phone call at 4am tonight! WORTH IT!

Enjoy the pics! Just remember, he just went through boot camp!! He doesn't smile in most of the pictures, which is understandable...he did just get out of place where smiling isn't something you do. But just know that he's got it somewhere in there!
**PS: Clicking on the picture should enlarge it if you want a closer look at some of them.**

Driving to Illinois! And me and sweet Dana waiting for graduation to start!

He's second from the right, then in the very back right, then on the right.

He was on the Honor Guard in a Performance Division...HUGE DEAL!

Navy flag and the Sailors Creed.

First time to see each other...then with the family.

MY handsome sailor! You know, he calls me "Sweet Pea"...I guess I could call him Popeye? The other day he said, "I got the wrong should really be Olive Oil...tall and skinny!" ha! (You all do know that Sweet Pea is the little baby on the cartoon right? Now you do!)

So tired. :-(

David and Dana...amazing people!

Brothers...hehe Funny pic!
Landon, Josh, David Jr., and Ryan

MY FAVORITE! His Dress Blues were my favorite uniform. He looked SOOOOO handsome!

We went to the Jelly Belly Factory and got to wear these awesome hats! What a cute cute smile! I knew it would come out sometime! I'll have to remember that a paper Jelly Belly hat, riding on a very colorful train, and getting some sugar in him will make him happy! Anyone know where I can find one of those trains? Let me know if so!

I love that grin and those dimples!

Like son like father? hehe Hey good lookin'!

Saying goodbye to the family Sunday morning. :-(

Since my drive wasn't quite as long as the others, I was able to stay the rest of the day and take him back to the base around 6:30 (which yes, put me in Louisville around 2:15am, UG..but so worth it!). We went and saw the new 007 movie, shopped around the mall, and ate a wonderful dinner at Red Lobster where the last picture was taken of us. He really opened up throughout the day and I got to see lots of pieces of "Josh" come out in his personality. We had a lot to catch up on that was a hard to do with so many people around and all of us asking so many questions, so it was very special to get to spend the day with him alone. He's struggeling a lot with being happy and content with this decision and was really able to spill his heart out at dinner....which was SOOOO nice to hear what he was going through inside. I hurt for him, but I know God is in control and things will work out for the best. We are both faithful and have full trust that God will prevail.

I miss him so much already and can't wait for Christmas to roll around. I pray he gets off for Christmas and the week after instead of the week before so I can see him. There is that slight chance our time off won't overlap. :-( That would stink. But again, God will take care of it all!


Shelley said...

What a great update Lane! I know you miss him terribly, but you're right, God is in control!!! Great pics!!!

Janelle said...

Love is radiating off your face!

Alana said...

Bless his heart. And yours. Someday this all be a party of your amazing love story!